CRICOS code: 096816K
This course enables qualified Remedial Massage Therapist to practise as a Myotherapist in their own practice, or as a member of a health clinic.
This course will be delivered over 52 weeks, including
- 46 weeks tuition at 20 hours per week
- 6 weeks holiday
This includes orientation, scheduled classes, course related information sessions,supervised study sessions and examinations.
|Weeks||Hours per week||Total hours|
The vocational outcomes of the Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy are to:
- Establish and manage a myotherapy practice; including business skills and legal compliance.
- Manage health risks in a myotherapy environment; including aspects of health risk analysis, personal and premises hygiene, as well as infection prevention and control.
- Work effectively within a myotherapy framework; including working within clinic and regulation guidelines, achieving quality standards, preparing client education and health strategies, as well as ongoing performance development and working with other services/networks.
- Perform myotherapy clinical assessment; including accurately gathering and interpreting information to assess a client’s condition in order to provide myotherapy treatment.
- Plan myotherapy treatment strategy; including negotiating with the client.
- Provide myotherapy treatment according to the techniques and practices of a myotherapy framework.
- Provide myofascial dry needling treatments.
- Source and evaluate relevant research information and apply findings to own myotherapy clinical practice
- Employ communication techniques to establish, build and maintain relationships with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders.
Students who successfully complete this course will be granted the award ‘Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy’.
Completion of the Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy enables qualified Remedial Massage Therapist to practise as a Myotherapist in their own practice, or as a member of a health clinic.
Graduates may apply for entrance to tertiary qualifications.
Entrants to the 22316VIC Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy must provide evidence that they have gained competencies equivalent to those defined by:
- HLT50307 Diploma of Remedial Massage from the HLT07 training package, or
- HLT52015 Diploma of Remedial Massage from the HLT training package.
Applicants must be 18 years and above.
Entry requirements for NESB Students
Following are the language literacy requirements for this course:
International students will need to present IELTS test results prior to enrolment as an indicator of their proficiency (This is required for visa purposes). Students who have an IELTS band of 5.5 will be deemed to have the language requirements for entry into this course. Students, who have an IELTS Band less than 5.5, will need to undertake English classes for 10-20 weeks prior to enrolling in this course. It is anticipated that most international students who meet the entry criteria will have the required numeracy and literacy levels.
|HLT50307 or HLT52015|
|All students must be 18 years or older|
|High school certificate or equivalent|
|IELTS 5.5 or equivalent|
To complete this course, it is expected that you will have access to:
- A computer with Windows XP or higher
- DVD-ROM drive
- Media Player
These facilities are available on campus.
All of the learning materials and test books required to complete this course will be provided.
In order to receive this qualification, nine units must be completed satisfactorily
|CHCCOM002||Use communication to build relationships|
|VU21873||Establish and manage a myotherapy practice|
|VU21874||Manage health risks in a myotherapy environment|
|VU21875||Work within a myotherapy framework|
|VU21876||Perform myotherapy clinical assessment|
|VU21877||Plan myotherapy treatment strategy|
|VU21878||Provide myotherapy treatment|
|VU21879||Provide myofascial dry needling treatment|
|VU21880||Conduct research relating to myotherapy clinical practice|
As this is a competency based program, assessment continues throughout the duration of the course until the participant either achieves competency in the assessment tasks or a further training need is identified and addressed.
All assessment, including Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), must be compliant with the requirements of the relevant Standards for Registered Training Organisations in effect at the time of assessment.
There must be evidence of the student having achieved a minimum of 75 hours of supervised clinical practice involving 30 clients with varied musculoskeletal conditions. Clients must include males and females from different stages of life.
Assessment strategies must be based on the principles of consistency, fairness, validity and reliability. Assessment strategies should be designed to:
- Cover a range of skills and knowledge required to demonstrate the achievement of the course aims
- Collect evidence on a number of occasions and in a variety of contexts and situations
- Be appropriate to the knowledge, skills, methods of delivery and needs/ characteristics of the learners
- Assist assessors to interpret evidence consistently
- Recognise prior learning
- Be equitable to all groups of learners
Where possible an integrated/holistic approach to assessment is suggested, in relation to the intended learning outcomes of the course and performance required in the workplace. Integration can refer to:
- elements and performance criteria from the same unit being grouped together for assessment, or
- elements and performance criteria from several units being grouped together for assessment
Assessment methods must involve the practical application of knowledge and demonstration of skills in a real or simulated myotherapy clinical environment under the supervision of a qualified trainer/ assessor.
Assessment methods may also include (but are not restricted to):
- Written assignments or tests
- Oral presentations
- Portfolio development and presentation
- Work-based projects
- Action research projects
- Work placement
The opportunity for learners to negotiate the form of assessment is also possible in many cases, e.g. alternative assessments for learners with special needs.
Assessment of competencies through the RPL process must include proof of the demonstration of the relevant competencies within a clinical environment.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Students who have completed any of the units of study or have practical experience that may be used for recognition of prior learning must contact Skills Institute Australia prior to enrollment.
Please click here for information about our current RPL policy.
Click here for for information on this course from the national register for training in Australia
Click here for information published by the Australian government regarding legislative requirements and standards for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students who are in Australia on a student visa.
Click here to see our current fee structure.
Please note that some courses may only be taken by domestic students. For the latest information on whether this course may be taken by any student or by domestic students only, please click here.
Please click here for information on the delivery location of this course.
Skills Institute Australia has a commitment to providing equity in training for all learners. In particular, ensuring equity in training for women and the elimination of discrimination against female students in vocational education and training is a priority.
Skills Institute Australia encourages all students to pursue their vocational education and achieve their training goals, including students:
- With language, literacy and numeracy problems
- From a non-English speaking background
- With a disability
Our college will identify and access appropriate support services, and ensure the necessary services are provided for participants as required.
Click here for information about our student support services
Living and studying in Australia
Before you come to Australia, you should do your research!
Click here for information about life in Australia, accommodation options, the cost of living you can expect and much more