This refund policy is provided to all students prior to any payment being made and is contained in the Letter of Offer.
This refund policy applies to all tuition fees paid to Skills Institute Australia and includes any money paid to an education agent to be remitted to Skills Institute Australia. Education Agents are not authorised to collect money on behalf of Skills Institute Australia. All fees should be paid directly to Skills Institute Australia. Any additional fees requested by an agent, should firstly be queried directly with Skills Institute Australia before payment.
Fees for additional services (not covered by the Letter of Offer or part of the agreement with Skills Institute Australia) conducted by and paid to Education Agents by students are not covered by this refund policy.
The application for enrolment fee is a non-refundable administration fee.
It is the policy of Skills Institute Australia to ensure that all applications for refund of fees are considered.
A full refund of all tuition fees will be made if a CRICOS course is cancelled by Skills Institute Australia for any reason. In this instance a refund will be made in 2 weeks.
An application for refund of course fees must be made in writing on the Application for Refund Form to Skills Institute Australia stating detailed reasons for the request. Any relevant evidence should also be attached for consideration.
|Unsuccessful visa application||100% Refund of Tuition fees paid|
|Cancellation of enrolment more than 10 days|
prior to commencement date
|85% Refund of Tuition fees paid|
|Cancellation of enrolment less than 10 days|
prior to commencement date
|0% Refund of Tuition fees paid|
|Cancellation of enrolment after commencement|
|Visa cancelled due to actions of student||No refund|
|Course cancelled by Skills Institute Australia|
|Full refund of Tuition fees paid or offer for
alternate course (with student agreement)
Special consideration may be given to the refund of fees in extenuating circumstances (compassionate/ compelling), following a written application to the CEO. An eighty five percent (85%) refund is available up to ten working days prior to the commencement of the training program.
Cancellation of enrolment under these circumstances will incur a fifteen percent (15%) administration fee unless a student has had their visa refused refer Visa Refusal Exception.
No refund is available where cancellation is made less than ten (10) working days prior to the commencement of a course, unless a student has had their visa refused – refer ‘Visa Refusal Exception’.
However, participants will be provided with an option to transfer to a course being offered at an alternate time.
No refund is available where participants leave prior to completing the course. However, should participants wish to finalise incomplete units of competency in a future course, the original fee can be used as a credit towards that course. This offer is available within a 12-month period from the time initial payment is made.
No refund is payable where students have had their enrolment cancelled by Skills Institute Australia due to any breach of the Student Rules.
We will not issue refunds under other circumstances including but not limited to:
- changes occur in student work hours
- student changes/ leaves work
- it becomes inconvenient for a student to travel to class
- a student moves to a different location
- a student enrolment is cancelled for misbehaviour / breach of the College Code of Behaviour.
Refunds will be considered on a pro-rata basis for students who fall ill or are injured to the extent that they can no longer undertake the course providing a supporting Medical Certificate is supplied to Skills Institute Australia.
Skills Institute Australia will notify students of the outcome of the application for refund within 10 working days of receipt of a completed and signed application for refund.
Refunds will be paid within 4 weeks after receipt of a written application for refund.
Refunds will be paid directly to the person who entered into the contract with Skills Institute Australia unless we receive written direction to pay someone else. Refunds will be paid in the same currency in which the fees were paid unless this is impracticable. Otherwise refunds will be paid in Australia dollars.
All bank fees/ charges incurred in issuing the refund will be deducted from the refund amount.
Students are not permitted to transfer course fees to another student.
This agreement, and the availability of complaints and appeals process, does not remove the right of a student to take action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.
Students are obligated to pay outstanding course fees and understand Skills Institute Australia will pursue outstanding fees under Australian Law.
Skills Institute Australia will not issue a Letter of Release if fees are owed for the current study period. For further details refer – Transfer between registered providers Policy.
Visa refusal exception
A full refund of course tuition fees will be provided to students who are unable to obtain a visa to enter Australia to undertake their study. Written evidence of the visa refusal from the relevant authority is required. Refunds for OSHC, equipment, books etc purchased from other agencies will need to be applied for directly with the supplier.
In the instance of visa refusal or if a compliant written agreement is not in place, a refund is governed by the ESOS Act 47E (4). The student will be entitled to a refund of all tuition fees calculated in accordance with the ESOS Regulations. Sub-regulations 3.19(2)(a) to (e) The Lessor of ($ 500 or 5% of the total course fee received).
In all other cases, refunds are at the discretion of the Chief Executive Officer, Skills Institute Australia and may be negotiated on an individual case-by-case basis.
This agreement, and the availability of complaints and appeals processes, does not remove the right of students to take action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.
Education Agents are not authorised to accept payment on Skills Institute Australia’s behalf.
Refunds paid if Skills Institute Australia defaults:
- A full refund of all tuition fees will be made if a CRICOS course is cancelled by Skills Institute Australia for any reason. In this instance a refund will be made in 2 weeks.
- If the course does not start on the starting date as per the Written Agreement, students will be offered a full refund by Skills Institute Australia or placed in an alternate course if acceptable to the student and agreed to by the student in writing and kept on the student file.
- Refunds due to provider default. In this instance will be paid within 14 days.
Tuition Protection Service
If Skills Institute Australia is unable to provide a refund or place a student in a suitable alternate course our Tuition Protection Service (TPS) will offer students a suitable alternate place with another provider or refund the student the unused portion of the prepaid tuition fees.
The TPS Director may recover from Skills Institute Australia as a debt, the amount equal to the amount paid for a student under the TPS.
Skills Institute Australia will pursue to contact students who have not requested a refund within 4 weeks of leaving the college and keep such evidence on the student file.
Students should not pay any course money until they have signed and lodged a formal written agreement/acceptance of offer. However, if students pay by direct payment into our bank account or another means, e.g. mail, prior to signing a formal written agreement, we cannot use the course money received. We will immediately contact the student or agent to inform the student that the payment cannot be processed (and the enrolment cannot progress) until the signed agreement is received. Skills Institute Australia will keep such evidence on the student file. Students requesting a refund must be given a refund application form. If possible, students should be given also given a copy of the Refund policy as per their signed Formalisation of Enrolment. Students should also be given a copy of the Complaints and Appeals Policy. Students are to be advised to make an appointment to discuss the situation with the Compliance Manager/ CEO where possible.
When students present with a completed refund application, receiving staff are to ensure it is completed fully and signed. All evidence, e.g. medical certificates, must also be attached to the form.
Refund applications are given to the Compliance Manager for processing/calculating the refund appropriate. The Compliance Manager will consult with the CEO as necessary.
The Compliance Manager/ CEO may request an interview with the student. Applications for Refunds must be processed completely within 4 weeks from date of completed application, except for visa refusal or provider default, in which case students will be refunded in 2 weeks.
The Skills Institute Australia refund policy as per the student’s enrolment or a newer (signed and agreed by student) policy, must be followed.
Students are to be notified in writing of the outcome of their refund request within 4 weeks of receipt.
Unclaimed refunds are to be followed up by the Compliance Manager within 4 weeks of student leaving and all evidence kept on file.
Timelines/ requirements for provider and student default
Refer Sections 46 & 47 of the ESOS Act 2000
- Skills Institute Australia must notify DIBP and the TPS Director within 3 business days if the college defaults and notify students in writing.
- Within 14 days either offer an alternate place at Skills Institute Australia’s expense (student must accept in writing) or refund the student’s unused fees
- Notify DIBP and TPS Director of provider default outcomes within 7 days of the alternative course or provide a refund to the student/s.
- If a registered provider of an alternative course offers the student a place in the course, the student may accept the offer in writing within 30 days after the end of the provider obligation period unless the period is varied by the TPS Director.
- The TPS Director may recover from a provider as a debt, the amount equal to the amount paid for a student under the TPS.
- The Skills Institute Australia written agreement/ acceptance of offer must include refund requirements in the case of student default.
- Skills Institute Australia must notify DIBP and TPS Director of student default within 5 business days. Skills Institute Australia must refund in 4 weeks except for student visa refusal (2 weeks).
- If Skills Institute Australia does not have a compliant written agreement, or if a student’s visa is refused, refunds are calculated as per 47E(4) of the ESOS Act 2000
- Notify DIBP and TPS Director within 7 days for student default of Skills Institute Australia’s discharge obligations within 7 days of the default period
Click here to download the refund policy document
Click here to complete an online form applying for a refund
Click here to download a printable refund application form